Leading by Example | 1 Peter 2:13-3:7
Western civilisation is in crisis
- First they tear down the statues…
- Then they start to kill people…
- Then they take away your freedom…
1. Lead By Example (2:11-12)
- How can I be a good citizen at a time like this?
- We will suffer
- Do all the good you can, so far as God enables you.
- A Christian is a perfectly free Lord of all, subject to none.
- A Christian is a perfectly dutiful servant to all, subject to all.
2. Look To Jesus (2:21-25)
- If we suffer, we have Christ’s example to guide us.
- Respect those in authority, or face anarchy.
- “If this country (America) doesn’t give us what we want, then we’ll burn down this system and replace it.” (Hawk Newsome, BLM – 25/6/20)
- Have nothing to do with lawlessness!
3. Live for Real: Three Examples of Godly Submission (2:13-20, 3:1-7)
a. Citizens in Society (2:13-17)
- ‘For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.’ (v15)
- ‘Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honour the king.’ (v17)
b. Servants at Work (2:18-20)
c. Married Couples in the Home (3:1-7)
- What can I do to lead my whole family to Christ?
- Be aware of world events
- Expect worse times ahead
- Do all the good you can
Lead by example -> Look to Jesus -> Live for Real