Paul’s Gospel Ministry Confirmed | Galatians 2:1-10
- The Galatians are troubled by false teachers.
- In defending the gospel Paul lays out his credentials as an apostle.
- Paul received the gospel from the risen Lord Jesus by direct revelation and was personally tutored by him in Arabia after escaping from Damascus by being lowered over the city wall in a basket.
- Paul is no man-pleaser Gal: 1:9 If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
A Second Visit to Jerusalem
- Gal 2:1-2 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. This Paul’s second visit to Jerusalem since becoming a Christian and corresponds to Acts 15
- Some men came to Antioch preaching a false gospel and Paul and Barnabas are appointed to go to Jerusalem to resolve the matter with the other apostles.
- Acts 15:5 some believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees rose up and said, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses.”
- Titus is significant in Paul’s argument for the gospel of grace - Gal 2:3 But even Titus, who was with me, was not forced to be circumcised, though he was a Greek
- Living out the parable of the Wheat and the Weeds in real life.
Preserving the Truth of the Gospel
- Paul’s concern is to preserve the gospel, “once for all delivered to the saints”
- Jesus established the office of apostle and he alone appointed apostles.
- Three important passages in Ephesians about the importance of Apostles:
1. Eph 2:19-20 you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone
2. Eph 3:4-5 Paul speaks about his insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
3. Eph 4:11-12 he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ
- Two examples of sects who teach a false gospel and give false hopes
- Gal 2:7 when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised
- Three devastating blows to the Judaizers who accused Paul of preaching a different gospel from the one that Peter, James and John preached.
- The right hand of fellowship is extended and Paul’s apostleship is officially recognised.
- Jesus - plus what?
- We are saved to do good works, not because of our good works
- We have a message for a broken and frightened world:
- Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.